The Prairie Project at Sturgis Missionary Church
Starting in 2022, Sturgis Missionary Church (SMC) started The PRAIRIE Project....a planting of wildflowers and native grasses on seven acres on SMC's lawn.
With four varieties of native grasses and 17 varieties of flowers blooming from May to October, The PRAIRIE features a mowed walking trail (1/3 mile through the prairie | 1/2 mile full circle) and is open for the community to enjoy. Other features to the PRAIRIE will be added in the future.
Why make the transition from turf to prairie?
• Positive ecological effects
• Great community asset - the public is welcome to walk the mown paths!
• Enhanced beauty & usefulness of SMC's yard
• Provides rare native habitat for birds, butterflies, insects, reptiles, and other wildlife
• Low mowing and maintenance costs
• The Restoration of the natural prairie is a beautiful picture of how Christ restores our lives. Watch "A Story of Restoration" message by Pastor Joshua to find out more.
A Picture of the Christian's Restored Life in Christ
The Prairie Project is a visual reminder of the Christian's restored life in Christ. Just as restoration brings life and beauty to our church's lawn, entrusting your life to the God of the Bible replaces who you once were with the newness of life and vibrancy that comes through Jesus.
Below are a few examples of how the Prairie Project is a visual reminder of the restored life in Christ.
- Just as we have taken our lawn and restored it to native plantings, the Christian life is restoring us to a relationship with our Heavenly Father.
- Just as the plants will grow in stature and fullness, the Christian is to grow more like Christ.
- Just as the prairie will lack its visual vibrancy in the winter, so the Christian life will not always seem appealing when looking at your circumstances. But the beauty lies not in what is seen but in what is taking place.
- Just as periodic burns will be used to keep the prairie healthy, the difficulties of the Christian's life can lead to more remarkable growth.
- Just as it will take time for the prairie to become fully established, so too the Christian life is a process of growth and development.
- Just as the prairie will be self-sustaining, reseeding itself, the Christian is called to share their faith with others.
- Just as the prairie provides habitat, food, cover, nesting, nutrition, a balanced ecosystem, etc., our restored life in Christ supplies us with the power of the Holy Spirit to provide us with all we need.
- Just as the prairie will bring a fullness of life through the addition of a variety of plants and wildlife, the restored life in Christ brings joy inexpressible, peace beyond understanding, an identity outside of ourselves, etc.
See the photo below for expected wildflowers and their blooming periods.
We hope you enjoy the prairie!
Questions or Suggestions? Contact Sturgis Missionary Church.